5 Steps to Growing Zamioculcus
- Select a suitable sized pot with good drainage
- Add a layer of indoor plant mix to plant into
- Choose a spot in bright or low light
- Water zamioculcus once or twice a month
- Apply a general purpose fertiliser once a month
Follow our full guide and plant care tips to growing Zamioculcus below.
Zamioculcas, or the ZZ Plant is an air cleansing plant that features shiny, deep green foliage with a unique spiral shape. It's an easy-care plant that not only looks great, but requires minimal effort.
ZZ Plants grow upright and will usually grow to between 60-90cm, but can grow as tall as 1.5m depending on the size of it's pot.
The better the soil, the better your indoor plants will grow. Healthy soil is especially important when growing in a limited area. Choose a potting mix that is free draining like Tui Indoor Plant Mix, specially formulated with the right blend of nutrients to give your indoor plants in pots and containers the best start.
Select a container that is a suitable size for your plants. Ensure the container has enough capacity to house the roots of the plants you want to grow. Drainage is also essential, so keep this in mind when choosing your perfect pot.
Check plant labels for individual planting instructions.
- Water plants thoroughly before potting and allow to drain.
- Partly fill your container with Tui Indoor Plant Mix.
- Gently take the plant from the current container, loosen the root ball and remove any loose or dead plant material and roots.
- Position the plant in the centre of the new container and fill with Tui Indoor Plant Mix up to 3cm from the top.
- Gently firm the mix around the plant. The mix should be at the same level on the plant as it was in the previous container.
The right plant in the right place is the secret to healthy indoor plants. ZZ Plant will do well in bright or low light, however avoid direct sunlight.
In terms of watering and feeding, ZZ Plants require minimal effort. Don't water ZZ Plant's too frequently, and let the soil dry out between each water. Once a month is enough in the winter, and a bit more during spring and summer.
Tui Indoor Plant Mix contains a starter fertiliser to provide instant nutrients and prevent transplant shock, along with a controlled release fertiliser for sustained feeding for up to six months, however continuing to replenish nutrients will ensure your plants remain healthy. ZZ Plant's aren't very heavy feeders, apply a general purpose fertiliser like Tui Enrich Pour & Feed Indoor Plant Liquid Fertiliser once every 4-5 weeks during spring and summer, or for a sustained feed for up to 6 months use Tui Enrich Pots & Containers. Be careful not to apply too much fertiliser as this could cause the roots of the plant to burn.
Root rot can be a common issue with ZZ Plant's due to overwatering, so it's a good idea to keep the soil on the drier side. Allow the soil to completely dry out between watering.
This plant is considered toxic, so keep away from pets or small children.