Prevention is the best cure, and this is true in your garden too! A healthy garden is less likely to be plagued by insect pests and diseases. Follow our tips to reap the rewards of a beautiful healthy garden this summer.
TOP TIPS TO KEEP YOUR GARDEN HEALTHY
- Water: Water in the morning or evening to avoid water evaporation. A good deep soak every few days is better than shallow watering every day.
- Mulch: protect plant roots and conserve moisture with layers of Tui Mulch & Feed. The two in one combination protects and feeds at the same time.
- Feeding: Feed your plants and they will feed you! Plants use nutrients from the soil as they grow, so replenishing the nutrients ensures your plants grow to their full potential. Feed with a fertiliser specific to your crop such as Tui Vegetable Food or an all purpose variety such as Tui NovaTec Premium fertiliser. During the growing season sheep pellets can also be added to your garden every eight to ten weeks to replenish nutrients. Regular applications of Tui Organic Seaweed Plant Tonic will keep your garden healthy.
- Crop rotation: a useful system to ensure a healthy and successful vege garden by not planting the same crops in the same place each season. This helps prevent the build-up of pests and diseases in the soil by disrupting their life cycle.
- Companion planting: group plants together so they can help each other grow better, certain combinations also effectively keep pests away. Check out our Companion Planting Guide here
IF PESTS DO VISIT YOUR GARDEN
- For aphids, scale, whitefly and caterpillars try blasting with a hose or scraping off with your fingernail.
- White cabbage caterpillars are common over the warmer months. Use a layer of fine netting to stop white cabbage butterfly laying their eggs on your plants.
- Apply Tui Quash slug & snail control to prevent slugs and snails munching on your seedlings. Our Facebook friends have also had luck deterring snails with eggshells, coffee grounds and beer traps.
Discover how to create a thriving garden year-round with Tui Organic Seaweed Plant Tonic and Tui Seaweed & Fish fertiliser here >