As the tomato season continues many of you will have already harvested a bumper crop from your lovingly-tended tomato plants.
Follow Tui’s top tips for tomatoes to get the most from your tomatoes and keep them producing long into the season:
- Water regularly, 2 or 3 times a week. Irregular watering can lead to blossom end rot, and if plants dry out they are more susceptible to pests and diseases.
- Mornings are best; definitely avoid the heat of the day.
- Avoid watering the foliage, as this can cause fungus diseases.
- Feed tomato plants with Tui Tomato Food every four weeks to replenish nutrients used, enhance flavour and ripening.
- Use Maxfeed Tomato, Fruit & Vegetable for tomatoes in containers.
Remove laterals & lower leaves:
- Laterals are the side branches that appear about the leaves on the main truck of the plant. Removing these enables the plant to focus its energies on fruit production.
- Remove the lower leaves up to approximately the first truss of tomatoes to aid air circulation and to help stop fungus taking hold.
- Apply a seaweed based plant tonic, like Seasol, regularly, to encourage plant health and to help plants handle fluctuations in temperature as the days are hot and the nights cool down leading into autumn.
Protect from birds:
- Cover plants with netting to prevent birds stealing your ripening tomatoes.