If you love feijoas and love crumble, this delicious slice recipe shared by Laura is perfect for you. An ideal way to enjoy your homegrown feijoas, this sweet treat is likely to become a family favourite at your place.
Ready within an hour, it's an easy to follow recipe that makes up to 16 squares (depending on how big or small you cut them!)
Base + crumble
• 2 cups (280g) flour
• ½ cup rolled oats
• ½ tsp baking powder
• ½ tsp cinnamon
• ⅛ tsp salt
• 125g butter, softened
• ½ cup (100g) brown sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 tsp vanilla extract
• 2 cups feijoas, scooped out of the skins (approx. 12-15 large feijoas, or 20 small)
• 1 Tbsp brown sugar
• 1 Tbsp flour
• ½ tsp cinnamon
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 32 minutes
Makes: 16 squares
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 20cm square baking tin with baking paper.
- Whisk the flour, rolled oats, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer or other large bowl beat the butter and sugar together on medium speed for a few minutes until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix on low speed until the mixture comes together.
- Add 2½ cups (350g) of the mixture to the prepared baking tin. Set aside the remaining mixture. Using your hands or the back of a spoon, press the mixture firmly into the tin. Bake for 12 minutes or until just starting to go golden brown around the edges.
- While the base is baking, prepare the filling. Roughly chop the feijoas and add them along with the sugar, flour and cinnamon to a small bowl and mix together.
- Once the base has cooked, remove it from the oven and immediately pour over the feijoa filling. Spread it evenly over the base.
- Using your hands, crumble the remaining dough mixture over the fruit filling. It doesn’t matter if the crumbles are big, small or all different sizes.
- Put the slice back in the oven for a further 20 minutes, or until the crumble topping is starting to go golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately with ice-cream and caramel sauce, or allow to cool in the tin before slicing and serving as bars.
The slice will keep well in an airtight container in the fridge for 5 days.