This flavoursome kasundi shared by Tui Team member Lianne is the perfect way to use up surplus summer tomatoes. Use it as a dip, with Asian and middle eastern dishes or with cold meats, it is simply delicious! Adjust the chilli to suit - it has a bite but not too hot.
- 2kg of tomatoes (chopped)
- 125g root ginger
- 120g garlic
- 120g fresh red chillies (to taste, can use less) or 30g dry chillies
- 90g fresh green chillies (deseeded)
- 30g tumeric
- 90g mustard seed
- 90g cumin
- 500g sugar
- 60g salt
- 250ml quality canola oil
- 750ml apple cider vinegar
Note: you can adjust the chilli to suit - it has a bite but not too hot.
- Put the ginger, garlic and chillies in a food processor and mix to paste.
- Heat oil in a pan until smoking.
- Fry the ginger, garlic and chillies until the raw smell goes.
- Add the spices.
- Add tomatoes, chillies, sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Cook on slow until cooked - 1 hour or more.
- The mixture should be thick with oil floating on top.
- Fill into sterilized containers and seal. The kasundi will keep for months, however once opened store in the fridge.