Steps to sow a lawn
- When starting a new lawn from scratch, spray the area to kill any existing grass and weeds.
- Prepare spray according to directions on the pack (follow safety directions and precautions). Depending on the size of the area, a knapsack or pressure sprayer are suitable options.
- Clear away any dead grass and weeds once it has browned off (at least 7 days after spraying).
- Tui LawnForce® Lawn Preparation Mix provides lawn seed with a base of essential nutrients and fertiliser.
- Apply a 25-30mm layer of Tui LawnForce® Lawn Preparation Mix to the area.
- Create a level and compact area of your lawn by raking and filling. Use a rakehead or your heel to flatten the area before sowing the seed. A level area with no lumps or hollows helps ensure even germination. Pro tip! a levelling rake can be used to level the area quickly with ease.
- Water to help the mix settle before sowing.
- Sow seed on a fine day at the rate set out on the packaging. Choose from the range of Tui LawnForce® Superstrike Lawn Seed for a quick grow lawn that establishes in as little as 7 days*.
- Apply seed at 25g per square metre, scatter in a north to south and an east to west direction.
- Rake in lightly to ensure seed is covered.
- Water lightly and keep moist on a daily basis while the lawn seed germinates. Try to avoid puddles as this can move the seed around.
Wait until your lawn has grown to at least 5cm to mow.
* Seeds will germinate in 7 days in ideal soil and weather conditions and when the correct steps are followed. in non-ideal conditions germination may take longer.