If you have excess courgettes to use up from summers bounty, try this delicious recipe for courgette loaf that Lianne from the Tui Team has shared!
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1 cup wholemeal plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sunflower oil
- 2 cups grated courgette
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (or a nut of your choice)
- Sift the flours, bicarbonate soda, salt and cinnamon into a large bowl. Return the husks from wholemeal flour to mixture.
- Add sugar to the mixture.
- Beat eggs and oil together and pour over the dry ingredients.
- Stir courgettes and hazelnuts into the mixture.
- Place batter into a well-greased loaf pan or 22cm fluted ring tin. Bake in a moderate oven allowing 45 minutes to 1 hour for the ring tin and 1 to 1 1/4 hours for the loaf tin.
- Serve sliced thinly and buttered.
This cake keeps moist and fresh for days.