This recipe for Feijoa and Ginger Jam was kindly supplied by Heather from Waikanae Beach as part of the Harvest Recipe competition. A keen amateur gardener, Heather has 9 feijoa trees on her property and makes the most out of them when they are in season. She says that the ginger adds a nice 'surprise' element to the jam.
- 1 kg feijoa flesh (cut in half and scoop out the flesh)
- 2/3 cup water
- 600gm white sugar
- Grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 packet of crystalised ginger - chopped into chunks
- 1 tsp powdered ginger
- Bring water and feijoa pulp to the boil in a large pan, and cook rapidly until the fruit is soft.
- Add lemon juice, rind and sugar, and stir until all the sugar has dissolved.
- Add the ginger powder.
- Bring back to a rapid boil, stirring from time to time so it doesn't stick on the bottom of the pan.
- After about 10 minutes, check a small amount of jam on a plate, push with your finger and if it ripples, it is at setting point. If still too runny, boil a further 5 minutes and check again.
- Stir through the chopped ginger.
- Bottle in sterilized jars and seal.