This year's NZ Flower and Garden Show will be held at Trusts Arena, Auckland from 28th November - 2nd December 2018. Schools are invited to take part in the Garden to Table School Garden Competition, a wonderful opportunity to encourage creativity and showcase your school in a unique way!
The Upcycle Garden Challenge is also back and open to members of the public, passionate ‘upcyclers’, designers, horticulturalists, or anyone with the imagination to create something special. Find out more below.
garden to table school garden competition
Garden to Table are once again delighted to be partnering with the NZ Flower & Garden Show to run the very popular school garden section of the show. This is a wonderful opportunity to encourage creativity and showcase your school in a unique way. With Mitre 10 as the presenting sponsor this is a great way to build relationship and gain great exposure for the schools that enter.
The only garden design rules are:
- Garden design must include edible plants.
- Rear Backdrop (provided) must be designed and painted (paint kindly supplied by Resene).
- Schools are free to create their own design, however designs should be student-led, not parent/teacher designed.
Let your kids imagination run riot! Each school is provided with:
- A 4.8x4.8m garden bed with a raised 300mm border in which to create their original edible garden design.
- The backdrop of a house for the school to decorate.
- A $400 grant to spend on items for their garden at Mitre 10.
- We also have the support of Tui, Resene, Central Landscape supplies, Zealandia, Waimea Nurseries and Gellerts.
- The NZ Flower & Garden Show is also donating some tickets to each participating school.
Garden and backdrop designs must be submitted to Garden to Table by: Friday 12th October. Find out more information to enter your school here
Upcycle Garden Challenge
NZFGS and Resene are delighted to announce the return of the Upcycle Garden Challenge. We Kiwis are an ingenious bunch when it comes to creating something new out of not a lot, we are celebrating that Kiwi can-do attitude with the Upcycled Garden Challenge. We want you to create a small, colourful garden from upcycled objects, plenty of plants and colourful Resene paint and/or Resene wood stain colours incorporated in some way. Upcycled objects could include pallets, metal baths, bed heads – anything you can create a planter out of. Get those creative juices flowing and show us how one man’s trash is another man’s treasure!
The winning garden will take away the grand prize of $500 Resene voucher, and a $250 dinner voucher. The runner up receives $250 Resene voucher and a $150 dinner voucher. All that enter are eligible for flower show medals, a certificate will be distributed to all successful exhibitions.
Who can enter?
Anyone! This category is open to members of the public, interior/exterior designers, passionate ‘up cyclers’ horticulturalists or anyone with the imagination to create something special. People can enter as individuals or group together to form a team.
An application form which includes the design and concept for your exhibit needs to be completed and a selection of successful applicants will be made by the NZFGS Event Director. Find out more and get your application form here