This apple cake is a favourite supplied by Gemma from the Tui Team. With a touch of spice from the cinnamon it makes the perfect morning or afternoon treat. Serve warm with custard in the winter or with yoghurt and ice cream in the summer.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 C sugar
- 125g melted butter
- 1 C self raising flour
- Rind of 1 lemon
- 3 apples, peeled and chopped up
- Cinnamon and sugar for sprinkling on top
Note this cake is baked in a ring cake tin - a cake tin with a tube up the centre to leave a hole in the middle of the cake.
- Turn oven onto bake 180 degrees celsius
- Beat the eggs and the sugar
- Melt the butter, cool and add to the eggs and sugar
- Add the self raising flour, lemon rind and apples to the mixture and mix to combine
- Pour into a greased ring cake tin
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of cinnamon and sugar
- Bake for 30-40 minutes