Early identification and quick action will limit the damage done by invading pests and diseases. Be prepared by having the essentials in your garden's medicine cabinet.
Common problems and remedies
- Holes in leaves are starting to appear on lettuces, cabbages and broccoli. Most likely these are caused by slugs and snails. Hit them hard with Tui Quash slug & snail control. This is the safest pelletised slug and snail bait. It should be a staple in any garden shed.
- Yellow leaves on lemons and other citrus. The bronze or patchy yellowing in spaces between the veins of green leaves shows a magnesium deficiency. Remedy this problem by applying Tui Epsom Salts Magnesium Sulphate, which is high in Magnesium. Citrus need magnesium to create chlorophyll for strong healthy leaves and flowers for fruit production.
- Lack of hearting in broccoli, lettuce, cabbage and cauliflower. This is often caused by using too much nitrogen. Apply Tui Fruit & Flower Sulphate of Potash which is a fruit and flower booster rich in potassium. Not only does it cure the problem is also encourages disease resistance and healthy foliage.
- Compost heaps becoming smelly and don’t seem to be breaking down quickly. Add Tui Compost Enhancer Hydrated Lime, this accelerates composting and releases nutrients to plants once compost is ready.
- Yellowing and discoloured leaves on runner beans, French beans and peas. This is often caused by a tiny insect called the two spotted mite. They generally live underneath plant leaves and suck the chlorophyll from the foliage causing the leaves to change colour. If needed, choose a spray from your local garden centre and ensure when spraying that you get good coverage under the leaves.
- Mouldy leaves on zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins, raspberries, brassica’s and beans. This is often mildew, this is usually caused by humid conditions, lack of air movement and inconsistent watering – don’t let your plats dry out.
- Little or no flowers on tomatoes, beans, raspberries, potatoes and capsicums. This can be caused by a lack of Potassium. Apply Tui Fruit & Flower Sulphate of Potash, to encourage flower and fruit formation. It also will encourage disease resistance and healthy foliage and enhance colour and flavour.
- Looking for that extra boost in the ‘pick and grow’ lettuce patch? Leaves not growing as fast as you’d like? Try adding Tui Nitrogen Booster Urea to the soil – it’s urea which is a fast acting form of Nitrogen and encourages green leafy growth.