Enjoy your beetroot harvests in this delicious muffin recipe supplied by Papatoetoe West School. The addition of chocolate chips and the bright velvet red colour are sure to make these a hit with the children!
- 80g butter
- 1 large beetroot (weighs at least 250 grams)
- 175g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees celsius.
- Peel and grate the beetroot. Weigh the grated beetroot to check it weighs at least 250 grams. You may need to peel and grate more beetroot, or put some back in the fridge for later.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and cocoa together into a large bowl.
- Add the butter, sugars and the oil to the food processor and process until creamy.
- Add the egg and milk to the butter and pulse to just combine.
- Tip the beetroot, the chocolate chips and the butter mixture into the flour mixture.
- Mix until just combined. Remember not to stir too much or the muffins will be hard.
- Spoon the mixture to ¾ fill the muffin tins.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes.
Recipe supplied by Papatoetoe West School (adapted from Stephanie Alexander's Kitchen Garden Cooking With Kids).