A simple wall garden is the perfect way to grow lots of strawberries, even better if it’s close to the main entertaining space so you can watch the sweet fruit grow and ripen. Follow our step by step guide to create your own wall garden full of delicious strawberries.
Choose a sunny spot on a deck or fence that is close to the main entertaining space so you can watch the sweet fruit grow and ripen. Hang planter pockets on your chosen wall, using nail and hammer to secure to the wall.
The better the soil, the better your plants will grow. Prepare a mix of Tui Strawberry Mix and Tui Sheep Pellets (a couple of handfuls per bag should do the trick!) in a bucket or a wheelbarrow. Tui Strawberry Mix is specifically formulated with extra potassium, just what your strawberry plants need to encourage a plentiful harvest of big juicy fruit.
Wall pocket planters make a great feature in your entertaining space and allow you to plant plenty of strawberries for a continuous supply over the warmer months. On HOMEmade they used wall planters with nine pockets in each planter.
The best times to plant are early in the morning or late in the day, so the plants aren’t exposed to the hot sun straight away.
A good rule of thumb is to plant five strawberry plants for each member of the household. Research shows that planting strawberries in New Zealand's winter temperatures will produce a larger crop over the season, so don't be afraid to plant early.
- Fill each pocket ¾ full with the pre-made mix of of Tui Sheep Pellets and Tui Strawberry Mix.
- Before planting your strawberry plants, soak in a bucket of Tui Organic Seaweed Plant Tonic and allow to drain. This will help prevent transplant shock.
- Make a hole with your finger in each pocket.
- Place one strawberry plant into each pocket.
- Fill in with more Tui Strawberry Mix.
- Press soil gently around the base of the plant.
- Finish with a layer of Tui Strawberry Straw around each plant.
- Water well.
To make sure you have continuous supply of healthy and delicious strawberries for snacking and cooking over the summer months feed your strawberries in the wall planter with Tui NovaTec Premium fertiliser.
Keep your strawberries well watered. Well watered, well nourished strawberries will have a better chance of keeping insect pests and diseases at bay.