Is your garden bursting with delicious veges? Combine them to make tasty vegetable strudel! Shared by Te Huruhi School, this strudel can be enjoyed on its own or served as a side dish with your favourite chicken, fish, beef or duck.
- 370g white flour
- 150ml warm
- 50ml sunflower oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 250g kumara
- 200g carrots
- 1 fennel bulb
- 1 medium beetroot
- Large bunch of silverbeet, washed chopped
- Finely chopped herbs, parsley, thyme, oregano.
- Salt and pepper
- 50g melted butter
- Flour for dusting
- Place all ingredients in food processor and mix until combined and soft. rest under a tea towel for 10 min.
- Wash and peel vegetables. Shave one half and dice the other half of the vegetables.
- Blanch in salted water 2-3 min.
- Drain and place on kitchen paper allow to cool.
- Preheat oven 180 C, prepare oven tray lined with baking paper.
- Meanwhile dust surface with flour and roll/stretch strudel dough into a rectangle shape, place stretched dough on tea towel.
- Scatter vegetables over the pastry and keep 3cm free around the edges.
- Place chopped herb on top of vegetables and season to taste.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the melted butter around the edges, now start rolling the strudel together using only the tea towel. Make sure the strudel sits on the overlap.
- Place vege strudel on lined baking tray brush again with melted butter and bake in the oven for 15 min until golden brown.
To serve: cut strudel with serrated knife into 4-6 portions. Enjoy!