Enjoy your summer harvest of tomatoes well into the winter months with this tangy tomato chutney.
- 1.3kg fresh tomatoes
- 4 limes, quartered lengthwise
- 2 large onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 450g brown sugar
- 750ml cider vinegar
- 6 fresh chillies, deseeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- To skin tomatoes: cut a cross in the top of each, place in a bowl and pour boiling water on them. Leave for a few minutes until skins start to split, then strain and plunge into cold water. Slip the skins off.
- Roughly chop tomatoes and place in a large, wide saucepan or preserving pan.
- Cut the lime quarters crosswise into slices, then add to the pan with the remaining ingredients.
- Bring to the boil slowly, then reduce heat.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, until fruits are tender and chutney is thick.
- Put chutney in warm steralised jars and seal. Store in a cool place.
- Makes 3 x 500g jars.
Recipe from The Tui NZ Fruit Garden book