Te Wiki o te Reo Māori (Māori Language Week) is a great opportunity to celebrate te reo Māori in the garden!
Check out our Hepetema (September) planting tile along with some spring garden tasks that we've translated to reo māori to help encourage us all.
5 spring garden tasks/phrases to try when we're in the garden:
1. "He wā pai ki te mahi māra” - It's a great time of year to be in the garden
2. “Tangohia ngā otaota me ngā tarutaru kāore e hiahiatia ana” - Pull out weeds and any plants no longer needed
3. “He wā pai ki te whangai ngā huarakau” - It's a good time to feed citrus trees
4. “He wā pai ki te whakatipu ngā kakano mo Raumati” - It’s a good time to sow seeds for summer crops
5. “Whakatō i ngā hua kia whakamāneatia ngā pī” - Plant spring blooms to attract the bees
We've worked with Gayle from Te Wānanga o Aotearoa (Tauranga) and Lloyd Hohaia Whiu based in Kawhia to bring you these translations.