5 Steps to Growing Callisia Repens
- Select a suitable sized pot with good drainage
- Add a layer of indoor plant mix to plant into
- Choose a spot in bright, indirect light
- When watering, ensure the soil is kept lightly moist
- Apply a general purpose fertiliser once a month
Follow our full guide and plant care tips to growing Callisia Repens below.
Callisia Repens, commonly known as the bubbles plant is another trailing houseplant, with small, glossy heart shaped foliage that cascades over the edge of the pot. It can also be trimmed to maintain a more round and compact shape. and is the perfect plant for a bedside table, bookshelf or hanging pot.
Look out for the 'Pink Bubbles' variety for something extra special.
The better the soil, the better your indoor plants will grow. Healthy soil is especially important when growing in a limited area. Choose a potting mix that is free draining like Tui Indoor Plant Mix, specially formulated with the right blend of nutrients to give your indoor plants in pots and containers the best start.
Select a container that is a suitable size for your plants. Ensure the container has enough capacity to house the roots of the plants you want to grow. Drainage is also essential, so keep this in mind when choosing your perfect pot.
Check plant labels for individual planting instructions.
- Water plants thoroughly before potting and allow to drain.
- Partly fill your container with Tui Indoor Plant Mix.
- Gently take the plant from the current container, loosen the root ball and remove any loose or dead plant material and roots.
- Position the plant in the centre of the new container and fill with Tui Indoor Plant Mix up to 3cm from the top.
- Gently firm the mix around the plant. The mix should be at the same level on the plant as it was in the previous container.
- Water your plant well.
The right plant in the right place is the secret to healthy indoor plants. Callisia Repens will thrive in bright, indirect sunlight. It can also tolerate lower light conditions, but avoid direct sunlight as this can burn the leaves.
Water Callisia Repens regularly, so that the soil is kept lightly moist. It doesn't like wet feet though, so make sure not to let it sit in water. Water slightly more during spring and summer when it’s growing and less in winter.
Tui Indoor Plant Mix contains a starter fertiliser to provide instant nutrients and prevent transplant shock, along with a controlled release fertiliser for sustained feeding for up to six months, however continuing to replenish nutrients will ensure your plants remain healthy. Callisia Repens aren't very heavy feeders, apply a general purpose fertiliser like Tui Enrich Pour & Feed Indoor Plant Liquid Fertiliser once a month during spring and summer, or for a sustained feed for up to 6 months use Tui Enrich Pots & Containers.
Leggy growth is a common issue with Callisia Repens and is usually due to not enough light, or not regularly trimming the plant.
Well nourished and cared for plants will be more resilient to common problems including temperature fluctuations, pests and diseases.
This plant is considered toxic, so keep away from pets or small children.