Love Food Hate Waste have shared this delicious recipe for Apple, Orange & Ginger Jelly. Made from apple and orange peels and the skin from root ginger, it's a perfect afternoon treat on toast for the whole family.
- 3 kg of apple peel - these can be frozen until you have enough.
- Peels from 2-6 oranges - these can be frozen until you have enough. Zest before freezing, then freeze the zest and peels.
- 6 cups of water.
- A piece of root ginger or the skin of root ginger -the skin can also be frozen.
- Take apple peels, place in a large pot and add 6 cups of water. Cook until soft.
- Zest the orange peel if you haven’t already, then add only the peel to the pot.
- Cook the peel until it is soft and pulpy.
- Add the ginger root and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add two cups of water.
- Strain the pulp through a jelly bag or line a large colander with a clean cloth and leave it to drip into a bowl or pan overnight. Don’t press or squeeze the pulp as then your jelly will be cloudy.
- Add the zest to the liquid. If you prefer a clear jelly, then add the zest at step 4.
- Measure how many litres of liquid you have, then warm 500g sugar for every litre of liquid.
- Stir gently and continue cooking over a low heat until the setting point is reached.
- Let the jelly cool for 10 minutes before pouring into sterilised jars.
- You can also throw in any little pieces left over from a fruit platter or those half-eaten apples from children’s lunchboxes.
- This recipe uses half the amount of sugar than jam-making so is a great option for those wanting a lower sugar alternative.