Seed bombs are a fun project for over the school holidays and a great way to propagate seeds in your garden. Try Westport North’s very own Seed Bomb recipe - all you have to do is literally throw your seed bomb at the garden and wait for your delayed explosion of colour!
- 6 cup sized chunks of potters’ clay.
- 1 cup of seed mix – this is a mixture of seeds of your choice. Bigger seeds will work better than fine seeds. Calendula, sunflower, radish seeds are examples of seeds which work well.
- 1 cup of Tui Blood & Bone.
- 2 cups of Tui All Purpose Potting Mix.
This mixture will make about 30-40 seed bombs.
- Put all the ingredients into a wheelbarrow or big bucket to mix.
- Gradually add water, mixing all the time, until you get a nice tacky texture.
- Shape handfuls of mixture in round balls about the size of a golf ball.
- Allow 48 hours for your seed bombs to dry. Once dry they are ready to use!