Spring is the perfect time to plant tomatoes for summer. Tomato varieties vary in size, colour and flavour. Choose a variety based on your cooking and taste preferences. Discover our top picks for this spring below.
- Moneymaker - a tall growing variety and heavy producer of smooth, medium sized flavoursome tomato.
- Beefsteak - a very popular and reliable tomato which produces large flavoursome tomatoes. Will need staking.
- Russian Red - reliable in cooler climates, Russian Red is a hardy tomato producing heavy crops of good flavoured round fruits.
- Patio Prize - perfect for small spaces including pots and containers. A compact plant the produces tasty slicing tomatoes.
- Dynamo - a compact plant that produces plenty of bright red fruit.
- Tumbling Tom – also a hanging basket tomato, this tomato seems to have it all, producing plenty of sugary sweet fruit.
a change from red
- Black paste – a dark skinned plum tomato, revered by chefs and foodies for its slicing ability.
- Indigo Fireball - one of the most interestingly coloured tomatoes available, the yellow fruit features indigo pigments that are high in antioxidants. The small clusters of plum shaped tomatoes produced are delicious.
- Golden Pear Drop - a trailing tomato variety ideal for pots and containers, Golden Pear Drop is a high yielding tomato producing sweet pear-shaped, yellow fruit.
- Roma Acid Free - full of flavour, this is an early-mid season variety that produces dark, red oblong shaped fruit that is acid free.
- Golden Low Acid - a golden coloured low acid tomato option that produces large fruit with mild flavour.
- Sweet 100 - growing on a vigorous bushy plant, Sweet 100 produces an abundance of sweet and juicy cherry sized tomatoes perfect for salads and summer snacking.
- Gold Nugget - a golden cherry tomato that produces delicious tomatoes both quickly and prolifically. Grows to 100cm.
- Black Cherry - A dark cherry tomato, producing an abundance of sweet rich flavoured fruit on a tall plant.
SOMETHING A BIT DIFFERENT
- Bloody Butcher - a heirloom variety of tomato produces medium sized, deep-red skinned flavoursome tomatoes that ripen quickly so this variety - ideal for areas with a shorter summer.
- Yellow Pear – an extremely old variety, producing enormous numbers of bright yellow, bite-sized tangy sweet fruit. Perfect for summer party hors d'oeuvres.
- Mortgage Lifter - an old and proven variety that produces large sweet flavoured tomatoes.
If you're looking for an early harvest Early Girl is your tomato – a prolific cropper that produces early maturing dark red fruit.